Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Happy Hour @ Amuse

Last night B and I decided to have "P" night at Amuse.  If you're unfamiliar with Amuse - it's a self-serve wine bar.  They offer over 80 different bottles of wines (both red and white) for your tasting (1 ounce) pleasures.  Our goal for the evening was to get into and sample their happy hour menu and special (Mondays & Wednesdays - aka "Wine Tasters Night" pay $30 to get an Amuse Bar card worth $50).  Happy hour is from 5 - 8 and they have specialty drinks & a happy hour menu where everything is $5! 

We ordered:
  • Steamed Edamame (basketful) - lightly seasoned with salt & steamed to PERFECTION!
  • BBQ Seasoned "Frites" (basketful) - french fries with a BBQ seasoning served with ketchup and a chili pepper aioli... one of the best things we ate all night. 
  • Grilled Cheese Sandwiches (2 slices halved) - made with their house made baguette and havarti cheese, with truffle essence.  We weren't really that impressed it reminded us not of grilled cheese but of a cheese toast/bread from an Italian restaurant... made us long for our childhood version of white bread & kraft american cheese!
  • Asian Pork Sliders (3) - pulled pork in an asian sauce served in a bao with pickled ginger and cucumber slices.  This was good... kind of messy and sweet.  
  • 3 Cheese Pizza (mini pizza 6 slices) - I don't recall what the cheeses were... but this was by far the worst thing we ordered... :(  It came to us cold & stiff... sad.  B said it was "okay"... 
  • Cheese Sampler (3 different cheeses; if you get crackers it's a $1 extra) - I'm not a cheese person... but I knew that one of the samplings was Brie (thanks B for pointing that one out!) but the other two were a mystery to me... but I gotta say, they were GOOD!  In fact, one of them tasted like the inside of a grilled cheese sandwich sans the bread.  Mmm... now if I only knew the name. 
  • Circus Circus specialty drink - Midori, Stoli Apple, Sweet & Sour served with a cotton candy garnish. This drink was uh... well it tasted like watermelon.  How the heck this tasted like watermelon was beyond me... but I did not likey.  But you know to be truthful?  I only ordered it cause it came with a lil cotton candy... HA HA 
  • Apple & Blueberry Crisp - which was served with honey ice cream and caramel sauce.  I'm a sucker for caramel and our waiter recommended it.  B thought it was too sweet... and it was.  Almost too much to keep eating, but I did... and so did she.   This was NOT a $5 special, but I so wanted a dessert... :D
We of course took our new Amuse wine cards for a spin around the wine dispensers - which is pretty awesome... you see you're given a wine glass and a card (much like a gift card) and you're free to roam around to peruse the variety of wines and their prices.  The prices of the wines that were up for sampling ranged from $1.33 - $4.29 per 1 ounce.  While sampling, I realized something I already knew... I'm not a fan of red... and I'm definitely a fan of Moscato (tasted like grape juice) and Reisling (a sweet white wine).   :(  Go figure.  It's easy to get tipsy as you walk around sampling the wines 1 ounce at a time so be sure to either give yourself enough time to sober up or have a designated driver.  :D  Arrive Alive!  

Sadly, I did not bring my camera - shame too since we nearly ordered everything on the happy hour menu. ha ha Oh well, more reason to go back!  

A few facts about Amuse Wine Bar
  • located at the Honolulu Design Center: 1250 Kapiolani Blvd, Honolulu HI 96814                Phone: 808-237-5429
  • Happy Hour M-F from 5pm - 8pm
  • Menu - this is their bar menu, they don't have a posting of their happy hour menu 
Happy eating!  




No comments:

Post a Comment