Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Jang Su - Waimalu Bar-B-Q

I have cravings... and no, I'm NOT pregnant (this is how rumors are started!) and it just so happened that on this particular day, I was craving tofu soup.  Now the best tofu soup I've ever had was at So Gong Dong in the McCully Shopping Center.  But since I wasn't about to sit in traffic just to satisfy an itch... we headed out to my 2nd favorite place... Jang Su at the Waimalu Plaza.  :D

Bi Bim Bap
The Husby always struggles with what to order (mainly cause he can't remember what he's ordered in the past)... but he ended up getting the Bi Bim Bap (mixed veggies & beef over rice, with a fried egg).  It came in a stone pot and was still "cooking" the food in the bowl!  I had tried this before at Sorabol and didn't like the way it crisped up my rice... but he seemed to like it.  "It tastes like kakimochi!" ha ha to each, his own I say!  His dish came with an array of veggies - cabbage, mushrooms, shredded daikon, bean sprouts and choi sum and a smattering of beef with an egg in the middle.  You're supposed to mix it all together... that way the stone bowl "cooks" the egg while it coats the food.  :D  I just think of it as playing with your food.  It was fun to watch.

Tofu Soup - *Spicy*

I on the other hand knew exactly what I wanted.  "Tofu Soup please!" Now the only question I had yet to answer was... "spicy? mild?" I chose spicy... which was a mistake.  I wouldn't say that it was too spicy for my palate, but I couldn't taste anything BUT the spiciness of the dish... which was a shame since I was looking forward to eating the tofu soup for all the wonderful flavors in the dish.  :(  Their tofu soup is chock full of tofu (duh!), clams, abalone and zucchini.  It comes boiling hot to the table... in fact, it was still boiling while we waited for Husby's dish to come to the table.  It also comes with a bowl of rice... I heart rice!

The side dishes... and my tofu soup
 As you can see in the picture above... our meals came with 6 side dishes.  The usual kim chee, bean sprouts, choi sum, and shredded pickled daikon, but we LOVED the potato side dish (it's in the far left of the picture)... it was yummy, sweet and salty and cooked just right. The flat strips are I think some kind of fish kamaboko thing... it was okay, but since the Husby is allergic, he couldn't partake.

Now for some facts about Jang Su...


  • located at 98-1277 Kaahumanu St. Aiea, HI 96701
  • phone number: 808-487-2646 (they do take-out!)
  • Jang Su has a large menu with offerings of both authentic Korean cuisine and local tastes... AND yakiniku (cook your own food on a grill at your table!).  
So if you're craving Korean food, you don't have to drive to town to get it... 

Happy eating! Oh and feel free to post comments below... would love to hear what you think!

1 comment:

  1. The Bi Bim Bap looks so good in the picture. And with some kakimochi... mmmm..

    ReplyDelete