Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Gazen Izakaya

Facts:

  • Located at: 2480 Kapiolani Blvd, Honolulu HI 96826... Phone# 808-737-0230
  • Hours of Operation: Sun - Thurs 5pm - 11pm, Fri - Sat 5pm - 1am
  • Website: http://www.e-k-c.co.jp/tenpo/honolulu-e/index.html
  • An "izakaya" is a Japanese bar that offers alcoholic beverages and snacks.
The Husby and I decided to have "date night" here this past weekend and as a great way to use yet another one of my gift cards from my birthday present.  We arrived shortly before 7pm on a Saturday night, found their very limited parking lot full and was told that there was a 30 - 40 minute wait.  So we put our names on the waiting list (thankfully - they took my cell number to call us when our table was ready) and took our car to go find parking.   

I don't think the Husby really knew what kind of foods they served there when he bought my gift.  They don't serve meals... they're more like small "pupu" type dishes and everything is ala carte and while some of their dishes are affordable, some are quite expensive. 

Miso-Butterfish

We had their miso-butterfish dish which came with assorted mushrooms that tasted like they were sauteed in butter.  We each ordered a side order of rice and ate to our hearts content!!!  The Husby was so impressed with the mushrooms - wish I had taken a picture of his smile, it was priceless. 


Sweet Potato Mochi and Vanilla Ice Cream
with Earl Grey Sauce







For dessert, we had their sweet potato mochi and vanilla ice cream with earl grey sauce.  It took nearly half an hour for this dish to arrive.  I think it was either because our waiter was overwhelmed or he was just forgetful.  We had to remind him to refill our waters twice and he completely forgot that we had requested tea.  But the dessert was delicious... too bad the wait put is in a sour mood.  

Over-all, we enjoyed the food at Gazen, but I don't think we'll be going back anytime soon.  The small parking lot, the long wait and the staff put us off.  But I know that we'll be back eventually - if only to have that butterfish again!  

1 comment:

  1. Aloha,
    I just had a lovely evening at Gazen; the homemade tofu sampler was astonishing!
    Found your blog as I was looking for references for my own blog about this place.
    I will enjoy your other recommendations!

    ReplyDelete