Thursday, February 3, 2011

Peace Cafe


Peace Cafe is a restaurant that serves vegan friendly foods. If you haven't been introduced to Vegan foods, this is a great place to take your taste buds for a spin! My person and I found it last year when we tried to go Vegan for a month... it lasted for 5 days, admittedly it was all my fault that we failed. Anyway, we were lucky to find this place through yelp (yelp.com) and although we've gone back to our meat eating ways, we've been back to this establishment a few times.

Peace Cafe is located at 2239 S. King St. Honolulu, HI 96826. It's located in-between a Diego's Taco Shop and a reggae looking shop. They have a limited menu... and even though we haven't tried EVERYTHING, all the things we've tried are so good.

So far we've tried the... Heart & Seoul, their version of the Korean Bi Bim Bap. It's offered with a choice of TVP or fresh tofu. I chose the fresh tofu - which was silky, soft and perfect for the dish. I think the only thing that didn't work for me was the carrot salad thing. It had a distinct flavor that I didn't really care for. I couldn't put my finger on the exact flavor, I just knew that I didn't like it. Also - you can't see it, but they give a LOT of brown rice with this dish... in fact, it probably makes up for half the weight of the whole plate. It was a little excessive, I'm not one for that much rice.

My person had their Popeye - which is a sandwich consisting of miso-tahini flavored spinach with tofu cubes. All of their sandwiches come with lettuce, tomato and sprouts, with an aioli that they spread on their whole wheat ciabatta bread.

In the past we've tried the Soy Soba Salad which is a lunchbox filled with soba, fresh veggies, age-tofu and soy dressing. This is actually the very first thing I had at the Peace Cafe and was thoroughly impressed. Although as you can see in the picture, it also has that carrot salad thing. But since it was so full of other veggies, I could easily ignore that portion and feast on the rest of the meal!



My person on our first visit had the Tempting Tempeh sandwich - which consisted of a teriyaki fried tempeh. For those of you not familiar with tempeh, it's a traditional soy product orginally from Indonesia. It is made by a natural culturing and controlled fermentation process that binds soybeans into a cake form, similar to a very firm vegetarian burger patty. My person totally loved his sandwich. He said that he couldn't even tell it wasn't meat but that the inclusion of the alfalfa sprouts were not to his liking. They included cucumbers, tomatoes, alfalfa sprouts and lettuce - it's a very FULL sandwich.


And as always, I had to get my kinako latte... *sigh* This is heaven for me... though I gotta warn ya! You have to really like the taste of kinako. Which my person doesn't care for... though you wouldn't know it - cause he drinks at least half my latte!!!

So even if you're not vegan... I recommend this place. They have a lot of wonderful dishes and when you leave... you feel healthy, satisfied and just happy. I know that we'll be back for another visit soon. I'm craving a kinako latte!

No comments:

Post a Comment